If you haven't already, you'll probably make a puppy shopping trip sometime between now and pick up time. I thought it might be helpful to you to know what will come with your puppy.
Note: Several of the products we recommend are from Life's Abundance. We like and use their products so much we are independent representatives for the company (ID #20249934), which means you can order their products through us. We are not associated with any of the other companies recommended in this post.
1. A sample of Life's Abundance Small/Medium breed puppy chow
2. A 6-8 inch collar
3. A toy with the scent of his/her mom and litter mates
4. Samples of treats and shampoo from Life's Abundance
Here are some puppy shopping ideas. These do not come with your puppy.
1. A crate - For our second miniature schnauzer, Cocoa, we purchased a crate from Midwest Pet Products. (We purchased it at a local store called Good's Store, but you can buy it online.) What sold us on this crate is the divider panel that allows you to make the crate smaller when crate training. Now that Cocoa is full-grown and crate-trained, we no longer use the panel, but it was wonderful when we needed it. The handle on the top for carrying did break off, but that is my only complaint about it. For Cocoa, we bought the 1522 Model (22"Lx13"Wx16"H). It is a nice size for traveling, but I would go with the next size up (model 1524) for Cocoa's puppies and the Model 1530 for Jolly's puppies. Go to Midwest Pet Products site here.
2. A dog bed (or two).
3. Bones - Puppies need to chew! It is actually a good thing that they chew because it helps get rid of their puppy teeth. Small breeds are prone to retaining puppy teeth. Therefore, it is very important to have bones to chew on. What kind? Our two favorites are real ham bones from the grocery store and Life's Abundance buffalo bully sticks. For the ham bones, I buy ham hocks at the grocery store. Then I cook them thoroughly, remove the meat for soup or casserole, cool the bone, and give it to the dogs. Typically, they will devour it within 2 days. If any remains after 2 days, I dispose of it because I don't want it to spoil.
Please be aware of the poor quality of some rawhide bones. Read the ingredients & know what your dog is chewing on.
4. A collar - As I mentioned, your puppy comes with a collar, but he/she will eventually outgrow that one. Jolly's neck circumference is 10 inches. We like this one from Cabela's.
5. Training treats - When training a puppy, you want soft, small treats that don't take a long time to chew. There are many treat options - make sure you choose a healthy option. We like to use Life's Abundance training treats or cut up small pieces of cooked hot dogs. The training treats are more convenient because they stay fresh in their resealable bag. We like that they are made from chicken from the USA and New Zealand lamb. They are gluten free and contain no artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors.
7. Dog Shampoo - Yes, sooner or later your adorable little Fido will get dirty. We use Revitalizing Shampoo from Life's Abundance. Their bath mist also helps keep your puppy smelling fresh after and between baths.
8. Frontline - We highly recommend Frontline for the control of fleas & ticks. Frontline cannot be given to puppies under 8 weeks of age. Therefore, your puppy will not have had a Frontline treatment, but we recommend that you give them one within 2 weeks of purchasing or at the recommendation of your vet. Your puppy is at a very low risk for fleas and ticks because we treat all our adult dogs with Frontline.
9. Dewormer - Deworm your puppy according to your vet's recommendations. We deworm our puppies every 2 weeks until 10 weeks. After that, they should be dewormed at 12 and 16 weeks. Long-term, we administer dewormer twice a year. We use Durvet Liquid Wormer. Your puppy will be dewormed at 8 weeks.
10. Toys - Puppies need to have lots of opportunities to chew & play. Buy toys of different materials and shapes to give your puppy variety.
11. Baby gate - This isn't a necessity, but it is convenient with a puppy to be able to section off parts of the house or contain the puppy in a room, if needed.
Happy shopping! Would love to hear your comments on what you are buying!
All Amazon links are affiliate links. Thanks for your support!
Vanessa from Russell Homestead. Follower of the Lord Jesus, wife of my knight in shining armor, mother of 5 wonderful children, and joint-keeper of the Russell homestead. Thanks for stopping by!
Independent Field Representative
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thanks for your support!