Picking up a new puppy is about snuggling it and getting some puppy kisses. However, there is some necessary paperwork that also has to be completed. We try to minimize paperwork time and maximize puppy time by letting you know ahead of time what to expect. So, here is a run-down of the paperwork you will see at pick up time. You will be receiving a folder with these papers. We recommend taking the whole folder along to your first vet appointment.
1. Puppy Information Page - This is for you. It has information such as the breed, birth date, collar color, etc.
2. Health Records - This page is for you and your vet. It has the puppy's birth date, weight record, vaccination record, and deworming record.
3. Health Certificate - This is for you and your vet. It is from our vet stating the puppy was found to be in good health.
4. Puppy Contract - Please read this document carefully! You will be asked to sign two copies at pick up - one for you and one for us.
5. AKC Registration Papers - We completed our part of the registration papers. At pick up time, please be prepared to fill in the new owner information (name, address, and phone number). You will need to know who is going to officially own the dog. You can add a co-owner for an extra $10 fee to the AKC. You are not required to ever mail the AKC registration papers. It will cost $30 to register your puppy. Also, as our website says, we make a distinction between limited (pet) registration and full (breeding) registration. If you have not requested full registration, you will receive limited registration. (Full registration costs more, and we grant it at our discretion.) Limited registration simply means that your dog is AKC registered, but if he/she would produce any puppies, they would not be eligible for registration. Limited registration does not mean that you must spay or neuter; however, we recommend that you do if you are not getting full registration.
6. New puppy information - We give you a packet of papers with helpful tips on training your new puppy.
7. Photo use permission - We like when families keep in touch with us with photos and updates on their puppy. We have a page on our website with "past puppy photo updates" where you can share pictures of your puppy with others. We never want to post photos here without permission. Therefore, you may fill out this OPTIONAL form that allows us to post pictures you send us. If ever there is a specific photo you do not want to be shared, you can always note that when you send it. You are not required to fill out this form.
Let us know if you have any questions!
Vanessa from Russell Homestead. Follower of the Lord Jesus, wife of my knight in shining armor, mother of 5 wonderful children, and joint-keeper of the Russell homestead. Thanks for stopping by!
Independent Field Representative